Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Be a Peach and Read This Post

I made the mistake of buying peaches in February. Can you really blame me? I mean it's crazy, crazy cold here in Boston and I wanted some 'semblence of spring. If I can't see it outside at least I can have it happening in my mouth. Oye, that just sounds bad. Anyway, the peaches, not shockingly tasted eh. I didn't want to throw them out though. There were four decent sized peaches and to just toss them seemed wasteful.

I decided I'd make a fruit compote/jam with them. I chopped up the peaches and mixed in sugar (not sure how much I eye balled it), cinnamon, chopped crystallized ginger, a pinch of salt and a good squeeze from half a lemon. I let this stew away on my burner for a bit with the lid on the pot. I watched the end of the season finale of Nip/Tuck I had DVR-ed and flipped thru the lastest time magazine (all I can say is I saw the ending coming! bah, not a great season ender to one of my favorite shows but whatever).

Finally I took off the lid and saw what you see in the picture above, only in a pot bubbling away on the stove. The peaches really shrunk down and the liquid was caramel-y with sugar, peach juice. Yum. I didn't wait for it to cool, I took a spoon and dipped it into the liquid and blew and blew and blew....and finally tasted.

It was very good. It kinda tasted like a peach cobbler in my mouth...that's sorta like summer, right? I cooled the rest of the peaches and threw the container in my fridge. As for what I'll do with the results, I'm uncertain. I'm sure it will get spooned into and eaten directly from the container if I don't come up with any use for it.

But I bet it'd be great as a side to pork, chicken or on top of ice cream too.

2 comments:

Andra Sue said...

FYI, I got some good peaches last week that were from Chile, I think. You might look for those...

Leah said...

Thanks for the tip lady!!